The Leningrad Expedition, which is the successor to the St Petersburg Complex Geological Expedition, was founded in 1950.
Over the years of its operation, the expedition has conducted multiple studies in various fields. Several large fields and deposits have been discovered and repaired for the development by the company, including such deposits as Leningradslanets (oil shale), the Kingisepp deposit (phosphorites), the Pikalevsk and Uglovsk deposits (limestone), the Malinovets and Mishinogorsk deposits (secondary kaolins), the Vozrozhdeniye, Kamennogorsk, and Kuznechnoye deposits (granites and granite-gneisses), as well as a number of firesand deposits in the Borovichi District. These discoveries allowed to meet the needs of the regional enterprises in common minerals to the full extent, including those used for the production of new construction materials, such as aggloporite, foamed crushed stone, foamed glass, and keramzite gravel.
In 1950–1970, the company was focussed on comprehensive geological and hydrogeological mapping of the territory. Exploration at the previously discovered large mineral deposits was also continued during that period.
In 1990s, much of the enterprise’s attention was diverted to the environmental research. The completed works included geoenvironmental mapping of almost the entire territory within the expedition’s operation to the scales of 1:500,000–1:1,000,000; comprehensive hydrogeological and geotechnical mapping of the area adjacent to St Petersburg to the scale of 1:50,000; compiling sets of new-generation state geological, geoenvironmental, and hydrogeological maps for several individual areas.
Another direction of regional studies has been associated with surveying the north-west of Russia to identify diamond occurrences there. The expedition’s experts are currently preparing modern state hydrogeological maps covering the territory of the region.
The St Petersburg Complex Geological Expedition is also actively involved in groundwater monitoring and exploration. The company has made a great contribution to the replenishment of the drinking water resources in the Northwestern Region. In 2005, it successfully evaluated groundwater reserves and resources for drinking water supply in Pskov. In 2007, the company’s specialists solved the issue of drinking water supply in the city of Veliky Novgorod using resources of groundwater deposits. In addition, the Expedition conducts state monitoring of subsoil in the Novgorod, Pskov, and Vologda Regions.
The enterprise comprises of the Neva, Vologda, and Pskov field crews, as well as the Taitsky drilling crew, and a paleophytological laboratory. The expedition’s geological survey includes several crews and production divisions.